Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Quick Tomato Soup

If you always have onions, garlic and tins of chopped tomatoes in your cupboard you will never go hungry. Such a great base for so many dishes, from baked eggs to curry. This is such a simple soup but completely delicious and full of flavour. I must admit when I threw a few things in the pan today at lunchtime I hadn't fully decided what I was making, warm salsa, pasta sauce or soup! I had some leftover cold roast chicken so I knew I wanted something to go with that and this is what it became, soup and a sandwich!

For two servings you will need;

1 large tomato, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
400g tin of plum tomatoes
1 vegetable stock cube
1/2 tsp of dried oregano
Salt & pepper
Splash of olive oil

Fry off the onion and garlic in the olive oil.
Add the tomato and red pepper, fry until soft.
Pour in the tin of tomatoes, the stock cube and fill the empty tin with water and add that in.
Season with oregano, salt & pepper and simmer for ten minutes.
Blitz with a hand blender before serving.

I served this with a blob of natural yoghurt to which I had added a sprinkle of smoked paprika, this gave extra warmth and depth to the soup. It's also a great dressing for an accompanying sandwich, chop chicken and toss in the paprika yoghurt before spreading on some granary bread. Healthy and filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment