Friday, July 1, 2011

Mississippi via Clara Mud Pie!

I have always loved chocolate.  I remember running to the local shop as soon as I got my pocket money to buy macaroon bars, time outs, mint crisps or my all time favourite the thin dairy milk.  My love of chocolate has stayed with me but nowadays its the rich, dark variety that I love and I savour every morsel of it!  I was looking for an excuse to make Mississipi Mud Pie, its too rich and tempting to make for just a family dessert as I know I would hear the leftovers calling me from the fridge as I sat drinking a cup of tea before bed so when my friend invited us around for lunch it was the perfect occason to make it.  I had a chocolate shortcrust pastry in the freezer so all I had to do was defrost it and line my pie tin but you can find the recipe here; http://paulassweettreats.blogspot.com/2011/06/three-day-chocolate-lime-meringue-tart.html

Ingredients

  • 1 Chocolate Shortcrust Pastry Shell
  • 75g Plain Chocolate
  • 4 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
  • 125g Butter (softened)
  • 225g Light Brown Sugar
  • 3 Eggs
  • Whipping Cream

Line a removeable base pie tin with the pastry shell.
Blind bake in a 180 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Melt chocolate, cooca powder and 25g of the softened butter over a pot of hot water.
Beat the remaining butter and brown sugar together until light.
Add in eggs one at a time to creamed butter and sugar.
Add the melted chocolate mixture to eggy mixture and stir really well to combine.
Pour this into pastry shell and bake in preheated 180 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes.
Place on wire rack to cool and decorate with whipped cream.






I was so glad I had brought it to my friends as this is definitely one that I would be unable to resist the leftovers of!! It sliced really nicely and despite its richness it was a huge hit with both the kids and adults.  Literally there was nothing apart from a stray crumb left!  Just remember all those lovely anti oxidants in the dark chocolate and the feelings of guilt wont last long! Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious Paula! I am exactly the same with regards making cakes only when they can be enjoyed by many! It's impossible to resist a freshly baked cake any time of the day!

    ReplyDelete