Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lovely Lime Curd!

I love a bargain as you lovely readers might have realised at this stage! Two nets of limes for two euro so how could i resist??  I marinated chicken fillets for our rainy barbecue on Sunday in zest and juice of limes, lemons, coriander and a squeeze of lazy chilli and they were divine, stuck a few wedges of lime into bottles of beer and that still left me with twelve of them so I had to think of something else to do with them.  After the success of the lemon curd I thought I would try a lime curd and see how it would turn out.  I came across the recipe in my kitchen bible, "How to be a Domestic Goddess" by the fabulous Nigella. As the saying goes, "A lot done but a lot more to do" in my quest for goddess status!! So easy to make these curds and the heavenly smell in the kitchen from the zested limes is all part of the enjoyment, so sterilise the jam jars and get curding!

Ingredients (makes 350ml)

  • 75gr unsalted butter
  • 3 large eggs
  • 75gr caster sugar
  • juice of 4 limes
  • zest of 1 lime
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add all the other ingredients and whisk till custard consistency over a gentle heat.  Let cool before filling jars.  Keep in fridge.



Nigella doesn't sieve before filling jars but I did as I prefer a smooth curd.  Delicious! Plan is to make a chocolate shortcrust pastry tart, filled with lime curd and topped with meringue though i may have a sneaky slice or two of fresh toast smothered in the stuff, salivating!!!  Still have both lemons and limes leftover so if anyone has any suggestions as to what i can do with them, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment